My Experience in Italy Posted on January 29th, 2020 by

Rome, Italy

This month I had the opportunity to study abroad in Italy for J-Term, and it was an incredible experience. I was able to experience Italian culture, explore amazing historical sites, see many famous works of art, and travel around Italy. The purpose of this trip was to study the art and architecture of the Renaissance, so we visited palaces, cathedrals, museums, and landmarks. The Renaissance was a rebirth of the culture in Italy, and this period of time ushered in a variety of new ideas for art and architecture. Florence is known as the birthplace of the Renaissance, and many artistic ideas during this time were based on and modeled after Classical Greek artwork, but new, uniquely Roman ideas were also introduced during this time. A multitude of architectural and artistic marvels came out of this time period in history, and created many of the best known architectural structures and art of all time. It was fascinating to learn about how these buildings were constructed centuries ago, and are still standing today, and to see some of the most famous art pieces of all time up close, instead of in a book or on a screen. There were many times on this trip when I was overwhelmed with emotion as I looked at a piece or art or studied the elements, art, and architecture of another incredible building.

Florence, Italy

Our home base for our trip was in Florence, which was the cultural center of the Renaissance. The creativity of art and architecture during the Renaissance began in Florence and spread to all of Italy, and eventually throughout all of Europe.

Through the experience of spending the month of January in Italy, I have definitely learned about Italian culture, including social norms and customs. I have observed throughout our past weeks in Italy that Italians do not seem to hustle as much as I am used to in the United States. Italians often take leisurely strolls, and are not always in a rush to get from one point to the next. It was nice to be able to slow down the pace a bit here in Italy. Italians are also much quieter than I expected. In public, I have noticed that often Italians tend to keep their conversations quiet, and it made me more aware of how loud our group of Americans could be at times. Americans, in particular, could often be much louder than others around us. I did not want to be thought of as annoying or rude by the local Italians, so I made sure to be cautious of how loud I laughed or spoke in public. It was also difficult when we are in a large group not to get in the way of other people. Taking up too much space while in museums, churches, or even just on the streets seemed to be another challenge for our group. Many of the streets in Italy are very narrow, so it was important for me to be aware of our surroundings and careful of the amount of space that our large group took up.

An Aperol Spritz & Focaccia Bread

I knew before coming to Italy how important food was for the culture, and throughout our time studying abroad, I was able to experience many varieties of Italian cuisine. Long dinners with multiple courses are very common, and with many of the group lunches and dinners, we were able to experience late and long meals. I enjoyed being able to relax during mealtimes, and it was a good time to catch up with everyone on the trip. Because the meal was so long, we really got to enjoy each course fully and just enjoy each other’s company without having to worry about running late for our next planned activity. I was definitely not used to eating for an hour to two hours, so I did sometimes find myself getting a little anxious and restless during long meals. However, I am glad that we were able to eat all together as a group many times while in Italy. Food is an important part of Italian culture, and so often meals in America are rushed and not fully enjoyed. The social norm of long meals took some getting used to for me at first, but I ultimately enjoyed the long, relaxing meals that consisted of multiple courses, delicious food, and great conversations. At Gustavus especially, I notice that so often I get food that I can eat quickly so I can prepare for the next thing I have to do that day. Part of the dining experience in Italy is to really sit and enjoy the meal, and enjoy the company of people. This social norm of long meals was unusual to me at first, but I really enjoyed the relaxing meals that were not hurried. It was also amazing to try new Italian foods and drinks at every meal! Some of my favorite foods that I tried for the first time included carbonara pasta, as well as focaccia bread with cheese and pesto that I had in Genova. I also tried my first Aperol Spritz while in Italy, and now I absolutely love them. They are super refreshing and delicious!

Genoa, Italy

Prior to going on this trip, I had been told that Italians tend to dress nicer than Americans do in public, and this is so true. Wearing sweatpants out and about is not very common at all in Italy. I was very conscious of what I was wearing while exploring Italy, and I feel like I finally figured out how to dress like a true Italian. Italy is a very fashion-forward country, and fashion and appearance is an important part of the daily life and culture. I have always loved fashion, and I enjoyed dressing up each day while abroad. However, there were definitely a few days where I did not feel like I was wearing the right clothes to fit in with the local, common style of dress.

Before landing in Italy, I made a list of personal goals I wanted to strive for while studying abroad, and I am happy to say that I feel like I have achieved or made good progress with all of my goals. One of my main goals was to not be afraid to ask questions. There was nothing wrong with asking locals for directions, or asking for more information on an interesting structure or art piece. By asking questions I was able to learn a lot more about the art and architecture of Italy. I did not want to be afraid to ask questions, and I am happy to say that I asked questions, because I was curious about my surroundings and what I was seeing, and I wanted to take in as much information as I could.

I also learned basic Italian phrases, which was one of my personal goals for this trip. I definitely still do not know very much Italian, and I have only learned very basic phrases, but I have tried to order all of my food in Italian. Most Italians seem to be very understanding of people who do not know much Italian, and they are very forgiving of any mispronunciations. I spoke to the locals and was able to hear real stories from Italian people. Each day of the trip, I was open to new experiences, and was willing to attempt to speak Italian with the locals.

Venice, Italy

Some of my goals were harder to accomplish than others, such as remembering to live in the moment. While I did take many, many photos, I also had to remind myself to put down my camera and really just enjoy Italy in the moment. I wanted to make sure I was viewing things for myself, and not just through the lens of my camera. Overall, I would say that I was successful in living in the moment, experiencing the wonder and beauty around me through my eyes, and not through a camera lens.

Being in Italy and actually getting to see and explore Renaissance culture, art, and architecture really improved my understanding of the time period. The Renaissance was an incredible time in history, filled with innovation, creativity, and curiosity. The Renaissance is a time period that continues to be studied by students of all ages because of the major impact it had on the entire western world, not just Italy. Exploring each city and historical site we visited helped to improve my understanding of the Renaissance, and strengthen the influence and importance of the Renaissance in my own life.

Michelangelo’s David

One of my very favorite pieces that I got to see while here in Italy was Michelangelo’s David at the Accademia Gallery in Florence. The sculpture was absolutely stunning and breathtaking in person. The magnitude and details of this sculpture by Michelangelo were incredible. The details of David’s body, such as his hands and facial expression were magnificent to see in person. Standing in the Accademia next to the David statue was definitely a highlight of my time in Italy. I had always dreamed of being able to travel to Italy to see Michelangelo’s David, so to see in real life was everything I had hoped for and so much more.

While at the Uffizi Gallery, I got to see another one of my favorite art pieces in real-life. Botticelli’s Primavera was another famous art piece that I had studied and learned about in high school and college, but to see it in person was an experience I will not forget, and was so much more than I expected. The whimsical nature of the piece was truly indescribable, and the colors of the piece was mesmerizing.

Botticelli’s Primavera

Studying abroad has also changed my own self-identity due to the experience of the culture of Italy. I am surprised by how much I adjusted to the culture of Italy in such a short amount of time. Espresso and coffee is a big part of the Italian diet, and it is offered in virtually every restaurant after every meal. I have always loved coffee, but I have also been used to getting very sweet coffees, but throughout my time in Italy, I really grew to love the taste of just straight espresso. I would never have expected myself to ever really enjoy the taste of espresso, but now I think it is going to be a difficult adjustment back to American coffee. I used to always drink flavored lattes at home in Minnesota, but now I really love cappuccinos as well. It will be interesting to try shots of espresso and cappuccinos in the United States to compare them to the espresso coffee in Italy. Italy really has amazing coffee!

Although my time in Italy is coming to a close, I will always remember traveling to Italy and studying the Renaissance. My group I traveled with have become good friends, and we have shared so many wonderful adventures. This trip was life-changing and an experience that I will never forget. I want to travel around the world, so I can explore more cultures, art, and architecture, and see all the amazing things our world has to offer. This trip created a strong desire to travel, and I cannot wait to see more of the world in the future.

Ciao,

Claire Bratland