La Bella Vita: Italy 2020 Posted on January 27th, 2020 by

As my time here in Italy is coming to an end, I have had more free and independent time to reflect about my experience here. Engaging with the Italian culture has taught me many valuable skills that I intend to use when I arrive home in the United States. The three things I personally feel from their culture that has impacted me are; fashion, art/architecture and the food/drinking culture.

The fashion culture here is very big in most cities, especially Milan. Though I was not able to go to this fashion capital in my time here most of the cities I spent time in reflected the posh and trendy styles in their retailers. High end brands, such as Gucci and Versace and Chanel where side by side among other luxury brands. Each store guarded by a handsome man in a suit at the door. More affordable retailers, selling (knock offs) or products alike the high fashion. This included leather handbags and shoes, furs, long coats, cashmere scarves because it’s winter here even though is seems like spring in Minnesota. Never did I see an Italian person wearing athletic, leisure or ill-fitting clothing. By dressing this way, each individual seemed put together, and as if they had respect for you, others and themselves. This being one cultural aspect I hope to continue when I get home. When you dress in the morning, wear clothes that are classic yet bold, that demand respect and that are modest yet professional. 

I came to learn more about the country that has brought us so many innovations, creators, and masterpieces. From household names like Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Bocelli, and Dante. Today, there are so many different creative people. The streets are lined with people and their art. Next to the fashion stops are stores for homemade designed paper and stationery, supplies and pigments, studios for creations and spaces to show and sell work. Each building old with character of the past. By far my favorite part of being in Italy is the areas with ancient ruins. Rome and Pompeii have some of the oldest, but Florence has more architecture from the time of the Renaissance as well as tons of museums, churches and buildings with the painting, frescos, and sculptures made by some of the most influential people of the time. One piece that truly stands out is Filippo Lippi, Madonna and Child with Two Angels. The veil of Mary is almost transparent, and it is a great example of humanism. The creativity continues in Florence and it is contagious to all visitors. 

Arguably the best part of being in Italy is the amazing food and drink. As I write I am in a small cafe by the Mediterranean sea having the most delicious cappuccino of my life. Coffee is huge here. It’s served all day and after every meal espresso is served which seems odd at first because meals are served later in the evening. Dinner starts at the earliest around 6:30pm  and you will be there until at least 10:00pm. The Italian culture is to enjoy your time together and the food prepared. A meal will consist of the following; antipasto, (starter) primo (first course; typically pasta or grain) secondo (second course; meat) contorno (side course: vegetables) formaggio e frutta, (cheese and fruit) dolce (desert) coffee (coffee) and finally digestivo (after dinner  liquor used for digestive; limoncello is a must try.) Meals/courses are also often paired with wine. The drinking culture is very different from the United States, I would argue it’s safer and better for all. Children are exposed to alcohol from a young age and begin to integrate it into their lives under the vision of their parents. That way they learn good and safe habits, versus binge drinking when turning the age of 21 in the United States. The other comparison is that being publicly drunk is very rude, though publicly drinking is ok. By creating a safe environment around this taboo, Italy has successfully minimized unhealthy drinking habits. 

As for the goals I had aspired for this trip I have fulfilled them all. I came into this opportunity with no acquaintances on the roster, only one other experience traveling overseas, and a lack of confidence from the past fall semester that seemed to tear me apart in every way possible. The idea of the renaissance truly pulled through in every aspect of my time here. A time of rebirth. I had made many new friends, challenged myself with fears and mind with new and provoking ideas and questions  and have pushed myself to keep going as exhausted as I may have been. From spending time here in Italy, and constantly being reminded of great artists and innovators who re-wrote the narrative of how to unapologetically create beauty. I have become inspired to take a similar path. One that is my own, possibly breaking a few rules like Leonardo and Michelangelo and doing the unexpected to create the Bella vie for myself and other surrounding me.

Cheers Bella, Tessa